Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Boat Safety


If you read my recent trip log for our stay at Bon Echo, you know the kids had a great time in their kayaks.  My mum thought it looked like so much fun, she went out and bought an adult size kayak similar to theirs.  While at MEC (where she bought hers) the sales person reminded her she'd need a boat safety kit (bailing bucket, whistle, floating rope and water proof flashlight.)

I'll be honest, it never occurred to me to get these.  We have one in our canoe, but I never thought about it for kayaks.  The kids little yellow ones have two holes that go right through so a little water comes in, but its never going to fill up, apparently, that doesn't matter.  It's a boat, so you need a boat safety kit.  It wasn't until very recently even stand up paddle boards needed one, and they don't even have a scooped surface that could collect water!

I'm not sharing this information to go all ranty about crazy laws.  I can definitely see the need for an emergency whistle and a floating rope, even a flashlight.  Anyway, I just thought I'd put this out there as a reminder to anyone who, like me, wouldn't have considered the need for a bailing bucket in a boat that really can't hold much water (or any in the case of the kids little ones.)  No point risking a fine, as that would really take the fun out of a good day on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment