Pages

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Dutch Oven Pizza

I had so much fun last night cooking in the driveway, that I thought I'd be a bit more adventurous today.  I've never had luck with bread.  If I make dough in the bread machine, then bake it in the oven, I have sometimes gotten it to work...usually if I make baguette style loaves.  When I tried making a traditional loaf that way, it overflowed the pan so much that it reached the element and burned...very badly.

But you never learn if you give up, right?  So I bought some regular yeast and gave it a try.

Here's the recipe for the crust I used: (I found it here)

Finished pizza
1pkg yeast (2 1/4 tsp from the jar is what I used)
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

dissolve the yeast in water, add remaining ingredients. let rest 15 minutes.  Heat the coals, and once they are ready, heat the dutch oven.  Now here's where I screwed up.  I didn't read that this makes 2 pizzas...in 12" dutch ovens.  I had one 10" oven...and didn't divide the dough.  It turned out more like a pizza fococcia, but the kids really liked it.  I spread the dough in the bottom and let it bake for about 7 minutes, then added the sauce and toppings (just cheese and pepperoni)

So, it was supposed to bake with 8 coals under and 12 on top for about 18 minutes, but it took closer to 30 because the dough was so thick.  I'll have to try this again after I get a second dutch oven so I can do it properly.

I think this would be pretty easy to make while camping.  I'd take the little packet of yeast rather than have to worry about keeping the jarred stuff cool until ready to use.  I did try and look for frozen or refrigerated dough, but the store I went in to didn't have any.  This was easy though, so I don't think I'd bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment