Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

A bit of catching up

Whew, finally got all the new camping gear put away, and realized I forgot to post my opinion on the Bob's Red Mill 5 Grain Rolled Cereal.  Like I mentioned before, it looks like large flake oats, but in reality has 5 grains, as the name implies.

Taste wise, it was a little different than oatmeal, but not jarringly so.  Depending on the flavour additions you choose, you might not notice a difference at all.  I only added some brown sugar and chopped pecans.

The texture was a little different.  Some of the flakes obviously soften more than oats do.  It wasn't a negative though.

I'll eat it again, no problems.  The only issue some might have with it is the instructions say to simmer 10-15 minutes.  I don't think I cooked it that long (it would have burned if I had) but for anyone on a longer trip, who's worried about fuel consumption, it might be a concern.  The increase in fiber (20% of your daily recommended amount) and the addition of flaxseed boosts it's nutritional value compared to many other hot cereals, so its worth trying.


No comments:

Post a Comment